There are 162 users in the forums

Not sold on 49ers picking a WR with 13th Pick

Yes, I know the draft is full of quality WRs, some say the best WR class in years. And yes, we lost Emmanuel Sanders, and people say we need to replace him with one of the elite WRs available in the draft. But I don't think that in KS offensive schemes, a WR is as important as perhaps it is for other teams. Last season, JG completed 329 passes, of these 102 were caught by TEs. Namely, Kittle with 85, Dwelley with 15, and Toilolo with 2. That's almost one third of passes thrown, caught by a TE. Of the remaining 226 passes caught, 74 were caught by RBs and an FB. This means that 53% of passes were caught by a Non WR. I don't know if its the same with other teams, but it seems to me that KS schemes people open, people with good hands, regardless of the position they play. Are we bereft of quality WRs without Sanders? I don't think so. Deebo is certainly going to get increased targets, and Bourne is a serious Red Zone threat. We have added a veteran Travis Benjamin, and we still have the side players like Pettis, Goodwin, James, Wilson, and Matthews. They know they have to step up their games, especially with the returns of Jalen Hurd and Trent Taylor. There must be a reason that KS and John Lynch kept those 2 on injured reserve, and I am excited to see what they can do. And if they decided they really needed another WR, there are a lot of decent WRs in FA right now. I can't believe that the top 5 WRs in the draft are significantly better then some of these FA WRs out there right now. So much better that they warrant a first round pick on. Because of all these reasons, I just don't see JL and KS drafting a WR with the 13th pick. Maybe with the 31st pick if they don't trade out of it.

If Kinlaw, Derrick Brown, or wishful thinking, Chase Young/Isiah Simmons were there at 13, I think they have to go with one of them. Good rushers don't always hit the Free Agency Market, and if they did, there is a big demand for them. Not so much for FA WR. The front office needs to go defence with this first pick. Just my 2 cents.
Defence with the first TWO picks! Um, no, I hope not. I would possibly argue for O with the first two, (wr and interior OL). But at any rate, BPA must be taken into account.
Niners IMO only have 2 areas they they need to fill. an elite WR to compliment Deebo(one who is a deep threat and can get safeties to back up leaving the middle open) and an offensive tackle to protect Jimmy G. WR with #13 and OT with #31. The only other position possibly in need is corner. You can't go into the season with Deebo and then a bunch of question marks at WR. We don't know what we are going to get from Hurd and Taylor and Bourne is not a #2 WR.

The thing with stacking your team in one area like the Dline is a good offense can wear that Dline down if your own offense stumbles like we saw in the SB. It was our offense that cost us that game. A good offense is a good defense. If you have a top offense it will take the pressure off your D and it will also keep them fresh because the offense is controlling the clock. Look how good our running game was last season? And that was even when teams knew we were running the ball. Now imagine if they had to worry about the passing game also. The offense would be unstoppable. But for this to happen they need to get Deebo some help at the WR position and some protection for Jimmy so he isn't under pressure as much.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Mar 25, 2020 at 5:14 AM ]
Will we have to do a book report on these?
Gonna be a T ala Mike McGlinchey and the Madden WZers are gonna implode. I can't wait. That said, if they go DT, I'll implode.
most the passes went to a TE BECAUSE.......wait for it....we didnt have a great WR! having one changes everything and will open up our offense even more
Originally posted by NCommand:
Gonna be a T ala Mike McGlinchey and the Madden WZers are gonna implode. I can't wait. That said, if they go DT, I'll implode.

I wouldn't be mad with Kinlaw at all. And if we get a good Tackle at 31 I won't be mad either. build from inside out. Good chance that 3 years from now the best WR won't even be one of the guys folks are in love with. gonna be a 2nd or 3rd round guy
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'd be on board with that. Staley isn't going to keep playing at a pro bowl level for much longer.
OL or DB
It all depends. I think they are hoping Kinlaw falls to them but if there isnt a beast DT (BUckners replacement) at #13, they most definitely go WR. Honestly i think Hurd is going to be a very reliable target and Deebo did some great things in 2019. Bourne also keeps getting better and better every year. We got a solid core. Im sure we could also grab a good contributor at the end of the 1st as well or in the 2nd if we trade back

Our 1st round picks:
--------------------------
OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
OC Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

I wants Ruggs and his 4.28, but if I can get the above as a consolation prize I could learn to live with it awfully fast.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on Mar 25, 2020 at 10:04 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Neither am I if Kinlaw is there.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Our 1st round picks:
OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
OC Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

I wants Ruggs and his 4.28, but if I can get the above as a consolation prize I could learn to live with it awfully fast.

So you're using 2 first round picks on OL. Where are you playing both of them?
Wouldn't be mad at all with Kinlaw or Brown. Would still prefer Ruggs or Jeudy. If somehow all 4 are off the board see if Miami would give up #18 and #26 or #39 to move up to get OL to help out whatever QB they might have picked.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Our 1st round picks:
OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
OC Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

So you're using 2 first round picks on OL. Where are you playing both of them?

Wirfs at LT. Let Staley ride honorably into the sunset, or stay and work with the kid, and be ready as a standby.
Ruiz at OG at first. That used to be the path for OCs, starting at OG while they learned how to play in the NFL and learned the line calls. Ruiz has experience at OG.
Share 49ersWebzone